Monday, June 25, 2012

Chateau Ste Michelle Sweet Riesling

Chateau Ste Michelle
Harvest Select Sweet Riesling
2011
Harris Teeter
$9.99

Rieslings were the first wine I was passionate about.  It's a great beginner wine and comes in many varieties to fit all tastes.  You really can't go wrong with a Riesling most of the time.  It was my family's go to for picnics and cookouts on warm days.

In my quest to try different wines, Rieslings fell on the back burner.  While waiting for a prescription to be filled at Harris Teeter, this bottle caught my eye.  With it's dark bottle and golden label that reminded me of the color of late harvest dessert wines... I had to have it.  





The wine is a nice light transparent gold yellow.  There's a lot of peaches and fruit on the nose; a very typical Riesling scent and you can catch a hint of honey-like sweetness.

On the first sip, you almost sit back and wonder if this wine is carbonated.  It really tingles and dances on your tongue.  I take another sip and another with the same experience every time.

It is sweet, but not cloying like other dessert wines I've had.  The acidity helps balance it out to where you don't feel like you're drinking simple syrup, and there's a slight mineral profile that gives it a little bite.  The scent of peaches translates well into the flavor and again you get a smooth finish that is reminiscent of honey.

It might be too sweet to go with a heavy meal, but would be perfect with something light, or for afterwards on its own or with dessert.  I've spent a lot more than $9.99 on wines with a similar taste profile and I feel that you get a good value for the price paid with this product.

SCORE: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment